Sunday Dec 01, 201312:51 AM GMT
Egypt court to hear 21 female protesters’ appeal
Egyptian supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood during their trial in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria on November 27, 2013.
Egyptian supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood during their trial in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria on November 27, 2013.
Sun Dec 1, 2013 12:26AM
Share | Email | Print
Related Interviews:
An Egyptian court is set to hear an appeal in the case of 14 female protesters recently sentenced to 11 years in jail, their lawyer says.


Lawyer Ayman Dali said on Saturday that the appeal will be heard in a court in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria on December 7.

"Their appeals have been submitted and the appeals session has been set for December 7," Dali said.

The lawyer added that an appeal by seven other girls, all under the age of 18 and part of the same case, will be heard in a juvenile court on the same day.

On Wednesday, the court sentenced the girls and women, charging that they were involved in clashes between Muslim Brotherhood supporters and opponents in Alexandria on October 31.

The verdict has caused public outcry in Egypt. Amnesty International and other rights groups have also slammed the ruling and called for their unconditional release.

Amnesty says such sentences show the military-appointed government’s determination to crack down on dissent.

Egypt has been experiencing unrelenting violence since July 3, when the army ousted President Mohamed Morsi’s government, suspended the constitution and dissolved the parliament. It also appointed the head of the Supreme Constitutional Court Adly Mahmoud Mansour as the new interim president.

The government of Mansour has launched a bloody crackdown on Morsi supporters and arrested more than 2,000 Muslim Brotherhood members, including the party’s leader Mohamed Badie, who was detained on August 20.

About 1,000 people were killed in a week of violence between Morsi supporters and security forces after police dispersed their protest camps in a deadly operation on August 14.

The massacre sparked international condemnation and prompted world bodies to call for an independent investigation into the violence.

GJH/NN/AS
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Africa
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy