Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has expressed hope that the latest round of nuclear talks between Tehran and the six major world powers will herald a “new phase” in relations between the two sides.
In a Wednesday press conference following two days of talks over Iran’s nuclear energy program, Zarif said this “will hopefully be the beginning of a new phase in our relations towards closing an unnecessary crisis and opening new horizons,” in reference to the title of Iran's proposed package, which was tabled during the negotiations.
Earlier on Wednesday, Iran and the six powers - the United States, Britain, France, China, and Russia plus Germany - wrapped up two days of talks over the country’s nuclear energy program in Geneva. The two sides have agreed to meet again in the Swiss city on November 7-8.
The Iranian foreign minister further described the talks as “extensive” and “fruitful,” refusing, however, to provide details about the negotiations.
He also stressed Iran’s right to peaceful nuclear activities and said, “The right of Iran to pursue nuclear technology for peaceful purposes, including enrichment, can, in fact, be exercised with the necessary political will without any proliferation concerns.”
Earlier, EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton also addressed the reporters in a similar press conference, where she read out Iran and the six powers’ joint statement issued following the nuclear discussions in Geneva.
She hailed the two-day nuclear talks as the “most detailed” and most “substantive” ones ever held between the two sides, noting that both sides have agreed not to disclose details of Tehran’s proposal which she described as an “important contribution.”
According to Zarif and Ashton, sanction and nuclear experts from Iran and the six Western countries will meet before the next round of talks, planned for November 7-8.