Syrians gather near a hospital following a deadly chemical attack in the city of Aleppo, March 19, 2013.
Iran says Tehran, Moscow and Beijing have been assured by the Syrian government that it has not used chemical weapons in the fight against Takfiri groups in the Arab country.
On Thursday, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said the reassurance by the Syrian government has been relayed to the UN Under-Secretary-General Jeffery D. Feltman, who was recently on a visit to Iran.
Amir-Abdollahian further said Feltman was also told that the Islamic Republic, itself a “victim of chemical weapons,” is opposed to the use of such weapons in any way.
The Iranian diplomat further described a potential military intervention in Syria as a “strategic mistake, which would not be limited in dimensions if it occurred.”
Amir-Abdollahian also dismissed a recent report by the Lebanese daily al-Akhbar
that the UN official had informed Iran of plans to launch a military strike against the violence-stricken country, saying, “During Feltman’s recent trip to Tehran, regional developments, particularly a political solution to the [crisis] in Syria, were discussed.”
The call for military action against Syria has intensified after the foreign-backed militants operating inside Syria claimed on August 21 that hundreds had been killed in a government chemical attack on militant strongholds in the Damascus suburbs of Ain Tarma, Zamalka and Jobar.
A number of Western countries, including the United States, France, and the UK, were quick to engage in a major publicity campaign to promote war against Syria despite the fact that Damascus categorically rejected the claim on the use of chemical arms.
Media outlets reported a US plan for likely surgical attacks, which would be in the form of “cruise-missile strikes,” and “could rely on four US destroyers in the Mediterranean [Sea].” The plan was said to be awaiting US President Barack Obama’s go-ahead.