Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:4PM
This file photo shows two foreign soldiers in Afghanistan.

This file photo shows two foreign soldiers in Afghanistan.

Taliban militants have targeted a convoy of US-led foreign troops in an area of the troubled southern Afghanistan, killing at least four people, local officials say. The officials said the deadly attack took place on Wednesday in Lashkar Gah, which is the capital of the volatile province of Helmand. “The target of the suicide car bomber was a convoy of foreign troops passing from a crowded area in Lashkar Gah city,” media outlets quoted Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor as saying. At least 15 by-standers were also injured in the deadly incident. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing, but the attack had all the hallmarks of Taliban militants. Also on Wednesday, Taliban militants attacked a convoy carrying fuel for US-led forces in the west. The incident took place in the Afghan province of Farah. Local officials said that the militants launched a rocket attack, setting 35 vehicles on fire. At least six drivers were reportedly killed and nearly a dozen others injured in the attack. Taliban militants frequently attack trucks carrying supplies from Pakistan to US-led forces in Afghanistan. Hundreds of NATO logistic convoys and oil containers have been attacked in different parts of Afghanistan in recent years. The Taliban spring offensive is in full swing in Afghanistan. That’s a period when attacks by militants on foreign and Afghan forces hit their peak. Despite the presence of thousands of US-led forces in the war-torn country, the violence has grown every passing year since the 2001 US-led invasion. The US-led war in Afghanistan, which has caused record-high civilian and military casualties, has become the longest military conflict in the American history. JR/KA
Comments
Before you submit, read our comment policy. Send your Feedback.
Captcha
500 characters left
Loading ...