The Afghan government has strongly condemned the massacre of supporters of Egypt's ousted president, Mohamed Morsi, in the capital Cairo and other cities across the North African country.
“The Government of Afghanistan condemns the killing of civilian protesters in different cities across Egypt during the past two days,” the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement on Thursday.
“The Afghan government expresses its deepest sympathies to the families of those killed and those injured,” it added.
On Wednesday, Egyptian riot police moved in on two large protest camps erected by pro-Morsi demonstrators in the capital, launching a deadly operation against them.
Egypt’s Health Ministry says at least 525 people were killed and 3,600 injured in Wednesday’s violence. Over 43 security personnel, including a number of generals and colonels, were among the dead.
However, the Muslim Brotherhood put the death toll far higher, saying more than 2,000 people died. It has vowed to peacefully defeat the military coup that led to Morsi’s ouster last month.
Tension has intensified in Egypt since July 3 when the Egyptian army removed Morsi from office. The army also suspended the constitution and dissolved the parliament.