Sunday Jul 21, 201305:14 PM GMT
FM Salehi slams Iranian diplomat’s abduction in Yemen
Iran Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi
Iran Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi
Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:13PM
Share | Email | Print
Iran Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi has slammed the “inhumane” abduction of an Iranian diplomat in the Yemeni capital, urging the Sana’a government to take serious measures to secure his release.


In a telephone conversation with Yemeni Foreign Minister Abu Bakr al-Qirbi on Sunday, Salehi said according to international treaties and conventions, the host country is responsible for ensuring the safety of diplomats.

He called on the Yemeni government to fulfill its duties and responsibilities in this regard.

Al-Qirbi, for his part, said the Yemeni government would make every effort to release the Iranian diplomat. He added that initial measures have been taken to identify the abductors.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday summoned the Yemeni charge d’affaires to Tehran to convey the Islamic Republic's serious concern over the fate of the kidnapped diplomat and to remind the Yemeni government's responsibility about the issue.

Police sources said on Sunday that unknown gunmen kidnapped a staff member of Iran’s Embassy in Sana’a. The diplomat was travelling through the diplomatic quarter in southern Sana’a when armed men blocked the road, forced him to get out of his vehicle and took him to an unknown location.

Iran Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Araqchi confirmed that Nour Ahmad Nikbakht, an administrative staff member of Iran’s Embassy in Sana’a, has been kidnapped by an unknown group.

SF/HGH/SS
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Iran
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy