Monday Jul 08, 201302:55 PM GMT
Casualties feared after Homs twin car bomb attacks
Site of a bomb explosion in the central Syrian city of Homs. (File photo)
Site of a bomb explosion in the central Syrian city of Homs. (File photo)
Mon Jul 8, 2013 2:54PM
Last Update
Share | Email | Print
An unknown number of people are feared dead after two car bombs exploded in Syria’s province of Homs.


Syrian media reported on Monday that the bombs went off in Ekrima neighborhood, which is controlled by the Syrian army.

Local media say a number of people have been killed and injured in the blasts. No more details are currently available.

Meanwhile, the Syrian army took control of a contested district of the key city from the foreign-backed militants on Monday after ten days of fierce fighting, a Syrian official said.

The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity from Homs Province, said troops took the Khaldiyeh District but were still "cleaning" out militant-held pockets.

Syrian army has launched a major offensive to retake the strategic city of Homs, a transport hub that sits between the capital, Damascus, and coastal areas overwhelmingly loyal to the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Syrian forces have also made advances in some areas on the outskirts of Damascus during operations against foreign-backed Takfiri militants.

The Syrian forces have drove out militants from Ghouta, Zamalka and Irbin neighborhoods, inflicting heavy losses on the armed groups.

Foreign-sponsored militancy has taken its toll on the lives of many people, including large numbers of Syrian soldiers and security personnel, since March 2011.

PG/SS
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Middle East
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy