Wednesday Jun 12, 201310:38 PM GMT
Mubarak family to return ex-minister's illegal gifts
In an undated photograph Egypt
In an undated photograph Egypt's ousted president Hosni Mubarak (2nd-R) and his wife Suzanne (C) pose for a family picture with their two sons Gamal (R) and Alaa (2nd-L) and the latter's wife Heidi al-Sakher (L) in Cairo.
Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:37PM
Share | Email | Print

Mubarak and his two sons have been in detention since May 2011 over their involvement in the violent clampdown on demonstrators during the 2011 revolution.

Former Egyptian dictator Hosni Mubarak and his family have agreed to return gifts worth a total of $600,000 they had received illegally from a former minister.


Citing a judicial source, state news agency MENA reported on Wednesday that Mubarak’s younger son Gamal had signed the necessary paperwork to return the presents.

According to Mustafa El-Husseini, the head of Egypt's Public Funds Prosecution, the repayment came after “representatives of Egypt's Public Prosecution moved on Wednesday to the Tora prison, where Mubarak and his two sons are imprisoned, to negotiate the settlement.”

Former Information Minister Anas al-Fekki was arrested after an investigation found that he had given large sums to high-ranking officials, including Mubarak and his family.

In January, the Mubaraks returned $2 million worth of gifts they had received from the state's Al-Ahram news organization.

On Monday, a court in Cairo resumed the trial of Mubarak and his two sons over their involvement in the violent crackdown during the North African country’s 2011 revolution.

The criminal court also ordered the release of Mubarak’s sons who are standing trial on corruption charges and illicit gains.

The hearing said that they had been in custody beyond the maximum two-year period mandated by law.

However, it is far-fetched that the two brothers are set free as they are facing other corruption charges, according to a judicial source.

"The court orders their release so long as they are not being detained in other cases," presiding judge Mohamed Kamel Al-Rashidi said on Monday.

Mubarak and his two sons have been in detention since May 2011 over their involvement in the violent clampdown on demonstrators during the 2011 revolution.

The former longtime ruler was sentenced to life in prison last June, but an appeals court later overturned the sentence and ordered a retrial in January 2013 due to some irregularities.

DB/MHB
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Africa
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy