Former British TV host Jimmy Savile may have abused 1,350 victims, three times the number of victims who have come forward so far in a sex offence probe, a former Metropolitan police commander says.
Peter Spindler, who led Operation Yewtree investigation into sexual abuses by a number of celebrities until earlier this year, told child safety campaigners there were "probably treble that number who haven't come forward", The Sun reported on Friday.
Some 450 complaints have been recorded against the former BBC entertainer as part of the Operation Yewtree, which was set up after hundreds of allegations of abuse against Savile emerged following his death in 2011.
Speaking at the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) conference on April 18, Spindler said Savile deceived some of the most important figures in public life.
Earlier in January, in a 37-page report by the police and the NSPCC, Savile was branded as one of the UK’s most prolific known sexual predators who used his celebrity status to “hide in plain sight.”
According to the report titled “Giving Victims a Voice,” some 214 crimes, including 34 of rape or penetration during 54 years of abuse committed by the presenter, were recorded across 28 police force areas.