A view shows wreckage of cars after a car bomb exploded in central Damascus on April 8, 2013.
The Islamic Republic of Iran has denounced a massive bomb attack that claimed lives of 15 people in the Syrian capital earlier.
On Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast expressed sympathy with families of the victims, saying the attack “aimed at fomenting instability in the region,” ISNA reported.
“Certainly, the responsibility of such measures initially rests with those who have placed arming and provoking armed [terrorist] groups on their agenda. And then it also rests with defeated terrorist groups, which attempt to make up for their failure by inhumane atrocities against the resistant people of Syria,” Mehmanparast stated.
Earlier in the day, at least 15 people were killed and dozens were injured after a car bomb exploded in central Damascus, followed by intense gunfire in the Syrian capital.
"Terrorists detonated a car bomb between Sabaa Bahrat square and Shahbander Street," Syrian state television, Al-Ikhbariya reported.
Heavy gunfire was heard shortly after the blast and a column of smoke began to rise in the area.
Children are believed to be among the dead and wounded as the explosion took place near a school, the report added.
Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of Syrian army and security personnel, have been killed in the violence.
The Syrian government says that the chaos is being orchestrated from outside the country, and there are reports that a very large number of the militants are foreign nationals.
Damascus says the West and its regional allies including Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey are supporting the militants.