Friday Mar 22, 201312:19 PM GMT
Iran censures brutal mosque attack in Syria capital
Attack on al-Iman Mosque in the Syrian capital, Damascus, claimed the lives of over 40 people on March 21, 2013.
Attack on al-Iman Mosque in the Syrian capital, Damascus, claimed the lives of over 40 people on March 21, 2013.
Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:4PM
Share | Email | Print

The Iranian Foreign Ministry expressed confidence that the killing of clerics, including al-Bouti, would thwart “ominous plots by the US and the criminal Zionism and their regional allies that are trying to cause difference and sectarian conflicts and to escalate the killing of the innocent in Syria through their financial and arms support.”

Related Interviews:
Related Viewpoints:
Iran Foreign Ministry has strongly condemned a deadly attack on a mosque in the Syrian capital, Damascus, that killed dozens of people including a top Sunni cleric.


In a statement issued on Friday, the Iranian ministry strongly condemned the anti-humane and anti-religion crimes committed by extremist groups and held the enemies of the Syrian nation accountable for the brutal attack.

Over 40 people, including the senior Sunni cleric and President of the Levant Scholars' Union Sheikh Mohammad Said Ramadan al-Bouti, were killed and more than 80 others injured when a terrorist blew himself up inside al-Iman Mosque in Damascus on Thursday.

The attack was carried out while Sheikh Bouti was giving a religious speech to a group of students, including his grandson.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry said the killing of clerics, including al-Bouti, will certainly thwart “ominous plots by the US, the criminal Zionism, and their regional allies that seek to sow discord and trigger sectarian strife…by offering money and weapons to armed and terrorist groups….”

The statement called on scholars and religious centers across the Muslim world to condemn the attack and other crimes against humanity in Syria, including the recent chemical attack in the northwestern city of Aleppo.

At least 25 people were killed and 86 others injured after militants fired missiles containing poisonous gas into Aleppo’s Khan al-Assal village. Women and children are reported to be among the victims.

The attack came after Syria’s foreign-backed opposition coalition, known as the Syrian National Coalition, chose a Syrian-born American citizen, Ghassan Hitto, as the prime minister of what they call an interim government.

The Iranian ministry also called on all countries to take necessary measures to open national dialogue in Syria and put an end to the violence in the crisis-stricken country.

Syria has been experiencing unrest since March 2011. Many people, including large numbers of Syrian army and security personnel, have been killed in the violence.

Several international human rights organizations have accused foreign-sponsored militants of committing war crimes in Syria.

SF/SS
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Iran
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy