Wednesday Mar 20, 201308:37 AM GMT
Use of chemical weapons, "first act" by opposition interim government
Residents and medics transport a Syrian soldier, wounded in  Aleppo chemical attack to a hospital on march 19, 2013.
Residents and medics transport a Syrian soldier, wounded in Aleppo chemical attack to a hospital on march 19, 2013.
Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19PM
LAST UPDATE
Share | Email | Print
Syrian Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi has described militants’ use of chemical weapons as the "first act" by the so-called opposition interim government.


The Syrian minister also said that Turkey and Qatar, which support militants fighting against the government of President Bashar al-Assad, bore "legal, moral and political responsibility" for the chemical attack in the northern city of Aleppo on Tuesday.

At least 25 people were killed and 86 others were injured after militants fired missiles containing "poisonous gases" into Aleppo’s Khan al-Assal village. Women and children are reported to be among the victims.

According to a Reuters photographer in Aleppo, victims of attack were suffering breathing problems.

"I saw mostly women and children. They (witnesses) said that people were suffocating in the streets and the air smelt strongly of chlorine," he said adding that "people were dying in the streets and in their houses."

Foreign-backed militants, who had threatened to use chemical weapons against the army government forces and Assad supporters a few months ago, have denied using chemical weapons and have accused government forces of being behind the attack.

The attack comes hours after Syria's opposition National Coalition elected Ghassan Hitto, a former US-based IT executive, as prime minister for what it called an interim government.

HM/JR/SL
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Middle East
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy