Wednesday Feb 06, 201305:11 PM GMT
Hague: G5+1 to engage Iran nuclear talks with new proposal
William Hague, British Foreign Secretary
William Hague, British Foreign Secretary
Wed Feb 6, 2013 5:9PM
Share | Email | Print
The UK government has said that the Group 5+1 (G5+1) would make an “updated and credible” offer to Iran when talks resume on the dispute over the country’s nuclear energy program later this month.


Foreign Secretary William Hague said his respective government welcomes an earlier announcement about resolving the issue of the date and venue of the negotiations and that they had agreed to have their meeting in Almaty, Kazakhstan, on February 26.

He said the “need to make progress is increasingly urgent” in the talks between Iran and the G5+1 which includes the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, the United States, Russia, China, Britain and France plus Germany, as well as the EU High Representative Catherine Ashton.

“I welcome confirmation that talks between Iran and the E3+3 (G5+1) on Iran’s nuclear programme will resume this month. The UK, as part of the E3+3 (G5+1), remains committed to finding a diplomatic solution to the nuclear issue with Iran, but the need to make progress is increasingly urgent…”, said Foreign Secretary William Hague.

The British top diplomat repeated the old famous rhetoric that “Iran continues to enrich uranium in contravention of UN Security Council resolutions and on a scale that has no plausible civilian explanation”.

But, he refused to acknowledge Iran’s inalienable right to enrichment cycle as a full and committed member of the
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

Hague accused the Islamic Republic of commissioning a nuclear program, which is not civilian, but he gave no reason for his accusations without referring to the fact that the IAEA inspectors have been monitoring Iran’s nuclear activities round the clock since 10 years ago and they did not find even one example of diversion of activities.

The Foreign Secretary claimed that the west was seeking to engage Iran with mutual respect. This is while that nobody could engage with mutual respect on the one hand and ‘carrot and stick’ policy on the other.

“We will approach the talks in Almaty, Kazakhstan, with an updated and credible offer for Iran. The onus is on Iran to respond seriously and turn its declared willingness to negotiate into concrete action”, William Hague claimed.

Talks of a new offer and new measures come as the UN nuclear watchdog has repeatedly reiterated the peaceful nature of Iran’s nuclear energy program.

As reiterated by the IAEA, nuclear activities of Iran are all under supervision of the IAEA and that each gram of uranium is under control and used for peaceful purposes in Iran.

Meanwhile, the UK and U.S. have been spearheading a raft of anti-Iran measures including sanctions, which are only targeting the Iranian people, among them cancer patients in particular.

MOL/HE
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Britain
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy