The United States has once againt urged the Israeli regime to cancel its decision to permit the construction of thousands of illegal settler units in the occupied West Bank and East al-Quds (Jerusalem), calling on Tel Aviv to “reconsider” the plan.
"We urge Israeli leaders to reconsider these unilateral decisions and exercise restraint as these actions are counterproductive and make it harder to resume direct negotiations,” White House spokesman Jay Carney said on Monday.
"We reiterate our long-standing opposition to Israeli settlement activity and East Jerusalem construction," he added.
Carney made the remarks amid mounting international pressure on the Tel Aviv regime over its plan to build new illegal settlements.
Earlier in the day, the UK and France summoned the Israeli ambassadors to London and Paris to protest against the settlement expansion.
In addition, Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs Carl Bildt said that the Israeli plan is “pure vengeance against the Palestinians following the UN vote.”
On November 30, Israel approved a plan to build 3,000 more units in East al-Quds and the West Bank, including in the controversial E1 area.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged Tel Aviv on the same day to cancel the plan. She said the Israeli decision is “counterproductive.”