A senior commander of the Nigerian militant group Boko Haram has been killed in an attack carried out by the country’s military forces in Borno State.
Nigerian military spokesman Sagir Musa said the top militant commander, identified as Abdulkareem Ibrahim, and two sub-commanders were killed during a raid carried out in the group’s stronghold in the northeastern city of Maiduguri on Sunday.
“Ibrahim was a notorious… commander who had been responsible for the recent spate of assassinations and bomb attacks in Maiduguri,” Musa said on Monday.
Boko Haram has attacked Muslim figures as well as a range of other targets, including the United Nations building in the capital, Abuja, over the past months.
Human rights groups say violent actions by the militant group since mid-2009 have claimed more than 1,000 lives, including over 300 only in 2012.