Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has warned that the Tel Aviv regime is ready for fresh attacks on the Gaza Strip in case of, what he called, an Egypt-brokered ceasefire’s failure to hold. “I know there are citizens that expect a harsher stand in Gaza - and we are prepared to make one. We choose when to act, against who to act and how to act,” he was quoted as saying on Thursday. Netanyahu said Tel Aviv was “giving the ceasefire a chance.” Earlier in the day, the Israeli Minister for Military Affairs, Ehud Barak also said the Tel Aviv regime was prepared to resume deadly attacks on Gaza, alleging likewise that the ceasefire might founder. Also on Thursday, the democratically-elected Palestinian Prime Minister, Ismail Haniyeh dismissed the possibility of the resumption of violence in the coastal sliver.
“I want to say to the Palestinian people in Gaza, in the West Bank and everywhere that the option of invading Gaza after this victory is gone and will never return,” he said.The Cairo-mediated ceasefire agreement, which took effect on Wednesday, ended the Israeli attacks, which started on November 14, killing more than 160 Palestinians and injuring about 1,200 others. Prior to the ceasefire, Palestinian resistance fighters incessantly fired retaliatory rockets and missiles towards the Occupied Palestinian Territories, killing at least five Israelis, including one trooper. KA/HN