Palestinians stand in front of a graffiti depicting a resistance fighter in Gaza City on November 12, 2012.
Senior Israeli officials have warned of fresh major military operation against the Gaza Strip after Palestinian resistance fighters fired rockets in retaliation for the Jewish entity’s recent airstrikes against the besieged territory.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Sunday that Israel was ready to “escalate” its response.
His deputy Moshe Yaalon said: “We have a full box of tools...that we have not yet used.”
“We will need to toughen our response until Hamas says ‘enough’ and ends the fire,” Yaalon was quoted as saying.
An Israeli government official revealed earlier in the day that Netanyahu was set to meet with 50 foreign ambassadors to brief them on the recent violence in the Gaza Strip and rally international support for a possible ground operation in the coastal enclave.
The official said that the Israeli premier intends to tell the envoys that “no country in the world would tolerate the current situation, in which dozens of rockets and missiles are continuously being fired at our civilian population.”
Six Palestinians have been killed and dozens more wounded in the latest round of attacks carried out by the Israeli regime on the besieged strip.
An Israeli warplane pounded an area near the northern town of Jabaliya in Gaza during the early hours of Sunday, killing a 20-year-old man, identified as Mohammed Shwikani, and injuring two others, medical sources said.
Another young Palestinian man, named Mohammed Abed, was also killed in another airstrike east of the city.
In addition, Israeli tank fire on Saturday killed four Palestinians and wounded over 30 others in Gaza.