Former commander of a special security team in Tripoli Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Wood says the presence of al-Qaeda continues to grow in Libya. Wood made the remarks during a House Oversight and Government Reform hearing on the deadly attack against the US consulate in Benghazi last month. On Wednesday, the ex-security head said that the presence of the militant group is growing every day, adding, “They are certainly more established than we are."
His remarks come amid growing allegations that the US has failed to provide security for its citizens overseas, an example of which was the deadly attack on the US consulate in Benghazi which resulted in the deaths of four consulate staff members, including US Ambassador Christopher Stevens.It has been said that the attack against the US mission in Libya was carried out by elements related to al-Qaeda. Initially, reports said that the incident was in response to an anti-Islam film released in the US, insulting Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). SZH/SS