French schools in Egypt to close Thursday over Prophet cartoons
Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:29PM
Although there has been no specific threat in Egypt, it has been decided as a precaution and as in other countries, to close French schools and cultural centers in Egypt on Thursday September" French officialsFrance's Embassy in Cairo says French schools in Egypt will close on Thursday due to security concerns, after a French magazine published cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH). "Although there has been no specific threat in Egypt, it has been decided as a precaution and as in other countries, to close French schools and cultural centers in Egypt on Thursday September 20," AFP quoted French officials as saying on Wednesday. This comes as the French Charlie Hebdo magazine printed cartoons featuring a figure resembling Islam’s Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) on Wednesday. Earlier in the day, French foreign ministry in Paris has issued a statement saying that France would close its consulates and schools in around 20 Muslim countries on Friday due to security concerns. Meanwhile, the Muslim world is outraged at the US for allowing the production of the blasphemous video, which insults the Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) and depicts Islam as an oppressive religion. Anti-US demonstrations, which began on September 11 over the anti-Islam film, were held across the Muslim world, with protesters storming US embassies and torching US flags. Muslims in Iran, Turkey, Sudan, Egypt, Yemen, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Kashmir, Pakistan, India, Iraq, Gaza, Syria, Kuwait, Nigeria, Kenya, Australia, Britain, the United States, France, Belgium, and some other countries held many demonstrations to condemn the insulting movie.
On September 11, US Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other consulate staff members were killed in Benghazi after clashes involving a group of angry demonstrators near the consulate building.At least four Yemeni protesters were killed last week after US embassy guards in Sana'a opened fire on protesters trying to break into the building. Sam Bacile, a real estate developer, has assumed responsibility for the film released on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, which he said was made thanks to Zionists donations totaling $ 5 million. MAM/JR