Thursday Sep 20, 201211:08 AM GMT
US Embassy shuts down consular services in Yemen after protests
Yemenis hold a poster reading in Arabic "No embassy and no ambassador.. No relations with enemies..." outside the gate of the US Embassy in Sana’a on September 13, 2012 during a protest over an anti-Islam film.
Yemenis hold a poster reading in Arabic "No embassy and no ambassador.. No relations with enemies..." outside the gate of the US Embassy in Sana’a on September 13, 2012 during a protest over an anti-Islam film.
Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:55PM
LAST UPDATE
Share | Email | Print
The American Embassy in Yemen has suspended all consular services for two weeks in the wake of protests against a US-made movie, offensive to Islam’s holiest figure, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).


The embassy, in a statement issued on Sunday, said it will be "closed for all consular services through September 29," AFP reported.

It also alerted Americans in Yemen about the potential for demonstrations near the US diplomatic mission.

The embassy also renewed an existing travel warning to Yemen and called on Americans in the country to leave. "The security threat to all US citizens in Yemen remains critical," it said.

On Saturday, Yemenis staged a protest rally outside the US Embassy in Sana’a for the third consecutive day to express their protest at the US-made film which insults Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

Yemeni security forces fired warning shots and used water cannons to prevent hundreds of protesters from approaching the building.

Washington has sent over 100 Marines to Yemen to help protect its embassy during anti-American protests sparked by the anti-Islam film produced in the US, the Pentagon said.

Pentagon spokesman George Little described the deployment as a "precautionary step" amid anti-US protests in the Middle East.

Little added that there were no immediate plans to evacuate the embassy in Yemen, but that security would be stepped up. US missions are on high alert across the Muslim world as anger grows over the anti-Islam film.

Meanwhile, the Yemeni parliament has called for the expulsion of US Marines that have been deployed to the Arab state following recent protests outside US Embassy in Sana’a.

Muslims in Iran, Turkey, Sudan, Egypt, Yemen, Tunisia, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Malaysia, Kashmir, Pakistan, India, Iraq, Gaza, Morocco, Syria, Kuwait, Nigeria, Kenya, Australia, Britain, the United States, France, Belgium, and some other countries have held many demonstrations to condemn the blasphemous film.

Angry protesters across demand the US government apologize to the Muslim world over the anti-Islam movie.

The Wall Street Journal reported on September 11 that the profane film has been produced by anti-Islam Israeli-American Sam Bacile.

The report added that, Bacile, a real estate developer, has assumed responsibility for the film, which he said was made thanks to Jewish donations totaling USD 5 million.

MP/JR
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Middle East
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy