Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast says the Iranian hostages abducted in Libya have made phone calls to their families in Iran.
Mehmanparast announced the news on Monday adding “the [Iranian] government is seriously pursuing the fate of these hostages and Libyan officials have promised to follow up on their fate as well.”
The official said he is hopeful about positive result of consultations with Libyan officials saying that the Iranian Foreign Ministry is using its full capacity to get the hostages back home.
On July 31, the Libyan Red Crescent (LRC) said in a statement that unidentified gunmen had kidnapped a seven-member delegation of Iran Red Crescent Society (IRCS) after they left the headquarters of the LRC in Benghazi.
The Iranian delegation was in Libya at the invitation of the Libyan Red Crescent to discuss various prospects for cooperation in the field of humanitarian assistance.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Consular, Iranians, and Parliamentary Affairs Hassan Qashqavi had earlier announced that the seven-member delegation of the IRCS had been present in the Libyan city of Benghazi at the time of former dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
Libya has set up a committee to pursue the fate of the Iranian hostages.