Sunday Aug 19, 201204:18 AM GMT
Iran rejects involvement in blast in Afghanistan's Nimroz
The site of a bomb blast at a market in Afghanistan (file photo)
The site of a bomb blast at a market in Afghanistan (file photo)
Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:18AM
Share | Email | Print
Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has rejected allegations about the Islamic Republic’s involvement in a recent blast in Afghanistan.


Stressing the friendly relations between Iran and Afghanistan, Mehmanparast on Saturday denied any meddling by Iran in the internal affairs of Afghanistan, rejecting the allegation that Iran was involved in the recent explosion in the Afghan province of Nimroz.

On August 14, at least 36 people lost their lives in a bomb attack at a market in the southwestern Nimruz Province where people were reportedly shopping for Eid al-Fitr, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan.

A number of media outlets claimed that Afghan police had arrested three attackers who allegedly confessed later that they were from Zahedan, the capital of Iran's Sistan and Baluchistan Province, near the Afghan border.

Mehmanparast said Iran and Afghanistan share nearly 1000 kilometers of land border and that illegal crossings have always been a source of concern for Tehran and Kabul.

The embassy of the Islamic Republic in Afghanistan is ready to meet with the alleged individuals and ascertain their identity and carry out the necessary investigations into their intentions of illegally crossing into Afghanistan, the Iranian official said.

MYA/HJL/MA
Related Stories:
Latest From Iran
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy