Saturday Aug 18, 201202:20 PM GMT
19 Yemeni troops killed in bombing, shooting in Aden
Yemeni military police officers collect evidence at a parade ground in Sana’a, where a man in a soldier’s uniform set off a bomb during a parade rehearsal (File Photo).
Yemeni military police officers collect evidence at a parade ground in Sana’a, where a man in a soldier’s uniform set off a bomb during a parade rehearsal (File Photo).
Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:0PM
UPDATE1
Share | Email | Print
At least 19 Yemeni soldiers have been killed in a car bombing and shooting attack in the southern port city of Aden.


Yemeni security sources said the attacks on Saturday were carried out on a street in the Tawahi district of Aden where the military intelligence headquarters and a local state television office are located.

“The death toll has increased to 19 soldiers while nine soldiers and three civilians were wounded,” said a Yemeni official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The official also stated that three soldiers were killed by the car bomb, and that gunmen “used machineguns and rocket-propelled grenades” in the shooting attack.

The incident comes five days after local security authorities foiled another attempted car bomb attack in the city.

The Yemeni government has placed its security services on high alert to prevent “terrorist” attacks following a wave of such incidents across the country.

In May, a bombing in the capital, Sana’a, killed about 120 people, mainly soldiers.

ASH/HSN/JR
Latest From Middle East
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy