Thursday Aug 09, 201203:00 PM GMT
Turkish soldier killed, 30 injured in Izmir bus attack
Turkish security officials inspect the site of twin blasts that targeted a military vehicle in Izmir
Turkish security officials inspect the site of twin blasts that targeted a military vehicle in Izmir's Foca district on August 9, 2012.
Thu Aug 9, 2012 2:57PM
Share | Email | Print
Twin bomb attacks targeting a military vehicle in the western Turkish province of Izmir kill one soldier and leave 30 others wounded.


The attack occurred at around 8:10 a.m. local time (0510 GMT) after a remotely operated explosive device went off on a road near the resort town of Foca, on the Aegean coast where there is a naval base.

The military vehicle also came under gunfire after it was hit by the initial explosion.

The soldiers in the bus returned fire, before a second blast soon followed.

Local officials said the wounded were taken to nearby hospitals while a ground and air search was launched to capture the perpetrators.

The identity of the assailants was not immediately clear, but Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the attack was “another sign that terror was taking steps to spread.”

Erdogan was referring to the members of Kurdistan Workers’ Party, who have been fighting for autonomy in Turkey’s Kurdish dominated southeast.

MRS/SS
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Middle East
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy