Tuesday Jul 10, 201211:21 PM GMT
Lords reform vote dropped
Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:20PM
Share | Email | Print
The coalition government in Britain was forced to drop plans for a Parliamentary vote on plans to reform the House of Lords due to a rebellion by a number of Tory MPs.


The Leader of the House of Commons, Sir George Young, announced on Tuesday 10 July that there would be no vote on a timetable for the Lords Reform Bill currently going through Parliament, reported The Independent.

The announcement came after British Prime Minister David Cameron was reportedly warned that the extent of the Tory rebellion was such that it was better not to force the vote.

More than 70 Tory MPs are believed to have rebelled. However, Cameron was forced to make clear that they could not enter the government if they defied the whip on the vote.

The Sun reported Cameron would be forced to sack at least three ministerial aides for defying him otherwise he would make a humiliating U-turn in the face of a Tory revolt.

Proposals to reform the House of Lords include cutting the House to almost half its current size from 826 peers to 450, with 80 percent of the members being elected and the remaining 20 percent being appointed by an Appointments Commission. Currently, nearly all peers are appointed either by political parties or by the independent House of Lords Commission.

Moreover, there would be time-limited membership under the proposals. Once elected, peers would serve a non-renewable 15-year term instead of being members for life.

ISH/HE
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Britain
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy