The Taliban militant group has claimed responsibility for the killing of six American soldiers in eastern Afghanistan, according to a group’s statement.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement on Monday that the American soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb attack on Sunday in the eastern province of Wardak.
The NATO military alliance confirmed the attack in a statement on Sunday, but did not disclose the nationalities of the slain soldiers.
However, Afghan officials said the soldiers were American. Also, in Washington, a government official said all the dead soldiers were from the United States.
Meanwhile, chief prosecutor Seyed Sahar Gul in eastern Ghazni province was assassinated Monday morning. The Taliban spokesman claimed responsibility for the Monday attack too.
The increasing number of military casualties in Afghanistan has caused widespread anger in the US and other NATO member states, undermining public support for the Afghan war.
According to the website icasualties.org, a total of 228 foreign troops, 166 of them American, have lost their lives in Afghanistan so far this year.
Insecurity continues to rise across Afghanistan, despite the presence of about 130,000 US-led forces in the country ten years after the beginning of the US-led war in 2001.
The US-led war in Afghanistan, with civilian and military casualties at record highs, has become the longest military conflict in the American history.