Tuesday Jun 12, 201209:37 AM GMT
Bahraini court to try 11-year-old boy
Ali Hasan meets his mother on his release, June 11, 2012.
Ali Hasan meets his mother on his release, June 11, 2012.
Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:46AM
Share | Email | Print
A Bahraini court will try an eleven-year-old boy for what the Manama regime claims was “disturbing security” while being out on the street.


The trial of Ali Hasan was adjourned to June 20, a lawyer familiar with his case said on Monday.

The minor was handed over to his parents on June 11 until his trial.

Hasan has been temporarily released to “allow time to review a report on him prepared by a social worker,” said the lawyer, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Bahrain’s chief prosecutor for juveniles, Noura Al Khalifa, said in a statement on Sunday that the boy was arrested on May 14 while blocking a street outside the capital, Manama, with garbage containers and wood planks.

Hasan pleaded guilty and admitted that he blocked the road repeatedly, the prosecutor claimed.

Shahzalan Khamees, an attorney for Hasan’s family, said that police stopped Hasan and two other boys, who managed to run away, adding that Hasan claims the police threatened to shoot him with a pellet gun if he ran.

Bahrain is in the midst of an ongoing popular revolution that started in mid-February 2011.

The Saudi-backed regime of King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa has harshly cracked down on the protests, killing scores of people and jailing many others.

The Bahraini public holds the monarch responsible for the deaths of the protesters during the uprising.

AS/HSN/HJL
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Middle East
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2012 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy