The speaker of the Iranian Majlis (parliament) Ali Larijani says all three branches of the government are determined to deal with the recent banking scam case.
“No person, regardless of his position, if involved in this scandal, will be able to get away …using illegal means,” he said after a closed-door Majlis session on Sunday.
Larijani added that public opinion is concerned about the embezzlement case and people are entitled to demand a careful and just investigation into the case.
Larijani said to fight corruption, the case must be followed as a national case instead of becoming an excuse for political arguments.
“(Majlis) calls for an immediate and fair investigation into the case and for bringing all culprits in this corruption case to justice,” he added.
The USD 2.8 billion embezzlement case involving seven government-owned and private banks using fraudulent Saderat Bank documents was recently reported.
The director of the Saderat Bank Mohammad Jahromi took part in a press conference on September 9, 2011, to announce that his bank was not involved in the case.
Iran's judiciary chief then appointed Prosecutor General Hojjatoleslam Mohseni-Ejei to investigate the case. Mohseni-Ejei announced on September 18, 2011 that 19 people had been arrested in connection with the case.
He added that appropriate measures had been taken to prevent the criminals from leaving the country or transferring money to offshore accounts.