The United States has so far stopped short of commenting on a Taliban claim that they killed scores of American forces in Afghanistan on Saturday.
The Taliban claimed on Saturday that 64 US-led troops were killed in two separate attacks they launched in the southern city of Kandahar, a Press TV correspondent reported.
Taliban spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi said on Saturday that the militants killed 36 American forces in a car bomb attack in front of the US base in Kandahar province and also 28 others were killed in another bombing near the military base.
The explosions were so powerful that rocked most of the areas in the province.
Local officials confirmed that an Afghan civilian was killed and 23 others wounded in the assaults.
Witnesses told the Press TV correspondent that US helicopters took the victims away right after the bombings.
With the latest deaths, Saturday has become the deadliest single day for US-led foreign forces since the war began in Afghanistan nearly a decade ago.
American forces in Afghanistan have been experiencing their deadliest days since the beginning of August.
On August 18, a huge explosion reportedly rocked a US military base in eastern Afghanistan and killed at least 27 American soldiers and left dozens wounded.
On August 6, at least 31 US Special Forces were killed after Taliban militants shot down an American helicopter belonging to NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan's eastern province of Wardak.
The security situation remains fragile in Afghanistan despite the presence of about 150,000 US-led foreign forces in the war-torn country.
The increasing number of troop casualties in Afghanistan has caused widespread anger in the US and other NATO member states, undermining public support for the Afghan war.