Monday Aug 08, 201110:33 AM GMT
'2nd crash kills 33 US Afghan force'
Mon Aug 8, 2011 7:21AM
Share | Email | Print
The Taliban claim 33 US soliders have been killed in a second helicopter crash in eatern Afghanitan. (file photo)
A second helicopter belonging to the US-led NATO coalition has crashed in Paktia Province in eastern Afghanistan, killing 33 US forces on board.


Taliban Spokesman Zabihullah Mojahid claimed responsibility for the crash, which occured in Zarmat city on Monday, saying 33 American troops were killed in the downing, a Press TV correspondent reported on Monday.

Separately, another NATO chopper made a hard landing in the same area in eastern Paktia province late Sunday, Afghan witnesses and officials told Press TV.

The US-led NATO forces have cordoned off the scene of the incident, witnesses said.

The incident has reportedly left some casualties, but there are no words yet on the exact number of the killed or injured.

The main cause of the incident is not clear yet.

Meanwhile, the US-led alliance issued a statement and confirmed that the helicopter made an emergency landing. The statement said no one was injured and that it has launched an investigation into the incident.

The incident came in the wake of a similar incident on Saturday, which claimed lives of 31 US forces.

Taliban claimed responsibility for Saturday helicopter crash, but NATO said it has started an investigation into the incident.

AO/MB/HRF
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Asia-Pacific
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2011 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy