Wednesday Jul 13, 201111:18 PM GMT
'1,108 Libyans killed in NATO attacks'
Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14PM
Share | Email | Print
Libya's Prosecutor General Mohammed al-Mahjoubi
Libya's prosecutor general has said that NATO airstrikes have killed more than 1,100 civilians and injured thousands of others since the end of March.


Mohamed Zekri Mahjubi told foreign journalists in Tripoli on Wednesday that he intends to prosecute NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen in Libyan courts for “war crimes.”

"As NATO secretary general, Rasmussen is responsible for the actions of this organization which has attacked an unarmed people, killing 1,108 civilians and wounding 4,537 others in bombardment of Tripoli and other cities and villages," Mahjubi was quoted by AFP as saying.

The prosecutor general pressed other charges against Rasmussen, saying the NATO chief sought to murder Libyan ruler Muammar Gaddafi.

Mahjubi also accused Rasmussen of "deliberate aggression against innocent civilians, the murder of children as well as trying to overthrow the Libyan regime.”

The Libyan official said the NATO chief seeks to change the regime in Libya and establish a new government under his control with the aim of exploiting the country's oil.

NATO has carried out hundreds of air attacks over Libya with the claimed aim of protecting civilians against Gaddafi forces.

The NATO chief met representatives of the Libyan opposition-backed Transitional National Council in Brussels on Wednesday to discuss the way forward in the North African country.

Rasmussen said NATO operations in Libya would continue. However, he added that it was time to find a political solution to the crisis.

MA/MGH
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Africa
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2011 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy