Sunday Jan 22, 201211:47 AM GMT
US prepares to launch Libya attack
Wed Mar 2, 2011 3:20PM
Share | Email | Print
US moves naval forces towards Libya.
Latest media reports suggest that the United States and its allies may be preparing the ground for a military intervention in Libya.


The US Senate has unanimously passed a resolution calling for a no-fly zone over Libya.

The US Senate Armed Services Committee said all options, including the military option, should be on the table.

Earlier, the US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said Washington is looking at a full range of options for Libya.

Meanwhile, the US dailies, New York Times and Washington Post said the dissident leaders in the Libyan city of Benghazi have been debating about making a request for foreign air strikes against Gaddafi forces.

The report said the dissident leaders are growing frustrated over Gaddafi's iron grip on power.

Moreover, two US warships bound for the Mediterranean have entered Egypt's Suez Canal.

The USS Kear-sarge and the USS Ponce are carrying hundreds of marines, a fleet of helicopters and military equipment.

This comes as speculations escalate about a possible foreign military intervention in Libya.

Many observers believe that the US is concerned about the safety of Libya's oil reserves and not the country's people.

Libya holds the largest proven oil reserves in North Africa.

Meanwhile, the Israeli regime has reportedly authorized a security firm to send mercenaries to Libya to crush anti-government protesters there.

A journalist from Israeli daily Yediot Ahronot states that Tel Aviv has decided to recruit African mercenaries to fight against anti-government protesters in Libya.

The journalist says the director of the security firm was allowed to provide Libya's intelligence agency with the mercenaries.

Israel Zef, has reportedly met with Abdullah Assinousi, one of the leaders in Libya's intelligence agency.

Reports also indicate that the company has recruited 500,000 African mercenaries, charging the Libyan regime 200 dollars per day for each mercenary.

The revelation comes a few days after the United States demanded immunity for the foreign mercenaries in the International Criminal Court.

The forces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi are struggling to prevent the protesters from taking the fight to Tripoli, where the ruler is holed up.

Libyan Human Rights League has said that a brutal crackdown by the regime on opposition protests that began nearly two weeks ago has left an estimated 6,000 people dead so far.

JR/MB



Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Africa
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2011 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy