Tuesday Jan 03, 201205:06 PM GMT
UN, US condemn terrorist attack in Iran
Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:26PM
Share | Email | Print
US President Barack Obama (L) and UN Security General Ban Ki-moon
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and US President Barack Obama have severely condemned the recent terrorist attack in Iran, which left scores of people dead.


The UN chief on Wednesday described Chabahar attack as an “abhorrent terrorist” one, Xinhua reported.

At least 33 people, including women and children, were killed and almost 83 others were wounded in an attack which occurred at the Imam Hussein mosque in the southeastern city of Chabahar.

The terrorist group Jundallah has claimed responsibility for the attack, the Arabic-language al-Arabiya satellite news channel reported.

Iranian Deputy Interior Minister Ali Abdollahi and head of the Parliament (Majlis) National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Alaeddin Boroujerdi both blamed the US and UK for the attack.

Obama in a written statement on Wednesday voiced concern about the matter and said, “I strongly condemn the outrageous terrorist attack on a mosque in Chabahar, Iran."

“The murder of innocent civilians in their place of worship during Ashura is a despicable offense, and those who carried it out must be held accountable. This is a disgraceful and cowardly act," AFP quoted Obama as saying.

The US president further stressed that such acts recognized no religious, political, or national limits, and that the United States condemns any form of acts of terrorism.

“The United States stands with the families and loved ones of those killed and injured, and with the Iranian people, in the face of this injustice," he said.

SZH/HGH/AKM
Related Stories:
Comments
Add Comment Click Here
Latest From Iran
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
  • Today
  • Last Week
  • Last Month
Follow Us
© Copyright 2011 Press TV. All rights reserved. | About PressTV | Contact Us | Frequencies | Privacy Policy