Thu Sep 14, 2017 08:26AM
Yemeni children suspected of being infected with cholera receive treatment at a hospital in the capital Sana’a, on August 12, 2017. (Photo by AFP)
Yemeni children suspected of being infected with cholera receive treatment at a hospital in the capital Sana’a, on August 12, 2017. (Photo by AFP)
  • Embed

Here is a brief look at Press TV newsroom's headlines from 18:00 GMT, September 13, 2017 to 08:00 GMT, September 14, 2017.

 

Yemen cholera outbreak

The International Committee of the Red Cross has warned that Yemen's cholera epidemic could impact 850,000 people by the end of 2017. The humanitarian organization said the suspected cases of the disease have now risen to 647,000. The Red Cross added that the cholera outbreak has reached “colossal proportions”. The World Health Organization also says it has registered over 2,000 cholera-related deaths across Yemen since April 27. The disease has spread in Yemen due to water supply disruptions and deteriorating hygiene conditions. The epidemic has been blamed on the Saudi war and embargo on the country.

Civilian casualties in Syria

The US led coalition has conducted a fresh wave of airstrikes on residential areas in Syria, killing at least 22 civilians. Air raids in the northern city of Raqqah have left 11 civilians dead, most of them women and children. Separate air attacks in al-Shahabat village in the southern province of Dayr Al-Zawr have killed another 11 civilians from a single family. The airstrikes also led to substantial damage to infrastructure. The recent surge in civilian deaths at the hands of the US-led coalition over the past months has caused alarm among right groups. Washington admits to having killed hundreds of civilians in Syria and Iraq. But independent monitors estimate that the death toll from the US-led attacks since 2014 is at least 7,000.

Catalan mayors summoned

Spain’s top prosecutor says he is investigating more than 700 Catalan mayors for co-operating with an independent referendum that has been suspended by a court. Jose Manuel Maza says he has ordered a criminal probe of the mayors and ordered police to arrest them if they don’t show up for testimony. The Catalan mayors had offered municipal facilities for the October first referendum, which was deemed illegal by Madrid. Catalonia's pro-separatist government had asked the wealthy northeastern region's 948 mayors to provide facilities for polling stations. Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy's conservative government has vowed to do everything in his power to stop the referendum. He argues Spain's 1978 constitution stipulates that regional governments cannot call an independence vote.

Syrian children return to school in Dayr al-Zawr

Syrian children have started the school year in Dayr al-Zawr days after the army broke Daesh’s siege of the city. The children returned to their classes right on schedule. 100,000 civilians had been trapped in Dayr al-Zawr for three years before the siege was broken. Syrian government forces now continue pressing ahead with their operations to fully drive out the Daesh Takfiri terrorists from Dayr al-Zawr. The terror group is on the cusp of total defeat in Syria.

US government sued over phone searches

Two rights groups have taken legal action against the White House for its “warrantless” searches of phones and computers of travelers arriving in the US from abroad. The American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation sued the US Department of Homeland Security and two immigration agencies for searching the personal devices of 10 US citizens and one permanent resident as they were returning to the country. All of those named in the lawsuit complained about being pressured to turn over their phones. The lawsuit goes on to say that in several cases, the devices were kept for months before being returned, and none of those subjected to inspections were accused of any crime or wrongdoing. The US constitution requires the government to get a warrant before it can search the contents of phones and computers at the border.

US police killings

The US Department of Justice will not charge officers involved in the death of a black man that fueled tensions between African Americans and police in Baltimore. In a statement, the department said there is not sufficient evidence to bring federal charges against any of the six officers over the death of Freddie Gray. It added that the investigation into the incident will now be closed without prosecution. Gray was arrested in April 2015 in Baltimore and suffered a fatal spinal injury while being transported in a police van. African Americans reacted to the incident with massive rioting. The violence led to a curfew and the deployment of National Guard troops. His death was one of several incidents that sparked a nationwide debate about the excessive use of force by police against black people.

Nigeria cholera

The UN says the death toll from a cholera outbreak in northeastern Nigeria has jumped to 35 as millions of people remain at risk amid a shortage of food and medical aid. Most of the cholera deaths were reported in refugee camps in the northern Nigerian state of Borno where at least 20,000 people have taken shelter, amid the fighting between government forces and Boko Haram terrorists. The UN officials added that a famine has been averted thanks to progress in delivering life-saving aid to millions of people in northeast Nigeria. Mark Lowcock however said more work needs to be done to tackle the crisis in the region. The conflict in Nigeria has killed thousands of people and has left nearly 9 million more dependent on humanitarian assistance.

Warning on Iran deal

Over 80 nuclear non-proliferation experts warn the Trump administration may be looking for a false pretext to accuse Iran of non-compliance with its nuclear with the P5+1 group. The experts, comprising of former ambassadors, diplomats, nuclear negotiators, and government officials, reaffirmed their support for the nuclear deal. The experts include former director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency Hans Blix. They added that any unilateral action by the US against Iran would isolate Washington. The experts called on the Trump administration to fulfill its commitments under the nuclear agreement. US President Donald Trump has repeatedly criticized the nuclear accord as a bad deal.

Malaysia school fire

Over two dozen people, mostly teenage students, have been killed after a horrendous blaze tore through a religious school in the Malaysian capital. The fire broke out before dawn inside the school located in the heart of Kuala Lumpur. Firefighters rushed to the scene. The blaze was out within an hour but not before it wreaked terrible devastation. Horrific accounts emerge of the youngsters trying to escape the school. Neighbors say they were hearing the boys’ cries for help but couldn’t do anything. There were metal grills which prevented the students from escaping the burning building. Kuala Lumpur police are investigating the cause of the deadly incident.

Venezuela mediation talks  

The President of the Dominican Republic says he has initiated fresh talks with the representatives of the Venezuelan government and the opposition to resolve the country’s political crisis. Danilo Medina said that both delegates expressed readiness to reach some sort of consensus. Medina, however, didn’t elaborate if he talked with the opposing sides separately or together. The fresh round of talks comes amid a political standoff that has engulfed the Latin American country for months. The opposition accuses President Nicholas Maduro of dictatorship and mismanagement of the country’s oil wealth. Maduro says the opposition is seeking a coup with the help of the US government. The previous round of talks led by former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Zapatero in 2016 failed to bear any results.