Mon Jul 17, 2017 08:05PM
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson listens to questions by journalists during a press conference in Doha, on July 11, 2017. (Photo by AFP)
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson listens to questions by journalists during a press conference in Doha, on July 11, 2017. (Photo by AFP)

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is set to make an announcement on Iran's nuclear agreement "very shortly."

White House spokesman Sean Spicer made the announcement on Monday.

"The secretary of state will have an announcement very shortly on that deal," Spicer told reporters. "I think you all know that the president has made very clear that he thought this was a bad deal, a bad deal for the United States."

As a Republican candidate, now-President Donald Trump kept censuring former President Barack Obama for taking part in negotiations with Tehran along with five other world powers, calling the outcome of the nuclear talks “one of the worst deals,” the New York businessman has ever seen.

Trump administration officials have previously unleashed attacks against the deal, dubbed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), by repeating baseless allegations against Tehran.

As Teillerson's announcement was yet to be made, Iran warned that any major JCPOA violation on behalf of the US may result in Tehran’s withdrawal from the nuclear deal.

“If it comes to a major violation, or what in the terms of the nuclear deal is called significant nonperformance, then Iran has other options available, including withdrawing from the deal,” said Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in an interview with The National Interest magazine.