Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has taken part in a ceremony to honor Iran’s 2016 Olympics and Paralympics medal winners.
The Iranian teams took home three golds, one silver and four bronzes from the Rio Olympics, coming in 25th in the overall standings. And Iran’s Paralympics team also won eight golds, nine silvers and seven bronzes in the 2016 games.
- Iranian Paralympic archers win silver medals in Rio
- Iranian archer Rahimi shines in Rio 2016 Paralympics
- Iranian powerlifter breaks world record thrice, wins Rio Paralympics gold
Iran’s men's sitting volleyball team clinched the Islamic Republics’ eighth gold medal at the Paralympics by defeating Bosnia and Herzegovina 3-1.
During the ceremony, Morteza Mehrzad received Iran’s sitting volleyball team’s honor award from the president. Mehrzad plays as the teams spiker and he is also Iran’s tallest man with a height of 246 centimeters.
- Paralympics: Iran win gold in men's sitting Volleyball
- Iran defeats Bosnia and Herzegovina in Rio sitting v-ball games
- Iran's sitting volleyball team cruises into Rio 2016 Paralympics final
During the ceremony held on Saturday, Rouhani also honored Iran’s junior national squash team that managed to achieve four wins at the Asian Junior Squash Team Championships and finish in the fifth place in the tournament.