Here is a round-up of global news developments:
- Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani arrives in Cuba for an official visit aimed at expanding bilateral political and economic ties. During the one-day stay, Rouhani will sit down with President Raul Castro his older brother and predecessor Fidel. The two presidents would discuss a number of agreements on various fields including trade and energy.
- Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Bahram Qassemi has rejected the recent allegations by the Persian Gulf Cooperation Council that Tehran is interfering in other countries’ internal affairs. He added such claims are biased and in line with the blame game policy pursued by Saudi Arabia.
- US State Department Spokesman Mark Toner says his country will meet with Russia and other key players involved in the Syria peace accord process. The meeting will be held in New York on Tuesday. This after the Syrian government declared the end of a fragile ceasefire in the war-torn country.
- The United nations says one of its aid convoys has come under attack in the northern Syrian city of Aleppo. The convoy was carrying food and medicine for Syrians trapped in the flashpoint city. A UK-based monitoring group says the assault left at least 12 Red Crescent workers dead.
- Amnesty International has called on the US and the UK to immediately stop supplying weapons to Saudi Arabia amid concerns over use of the weaponry in Riyadh's war on Yemen. The rights group confirmed that a US made bomb was used in the Saudi deadly attack on an MSF hospital in August.
- A massive fire has forced thousands of refugees to leave the Moria detention center on the Greek island of Lesbos. Police say nearly all tents and prefabricated homes inside the facility caught fire in the incident. There have been no reports of casualties so far.
- The New York Mayor Bill de Blasio says US authorities have confirmed that Saturday’s bomb blast in the city’s Chelsea district was an act of terror. This after police detained a suspect behind the bombings in New York City and New Jersey. The man has been identified as Ahmad Khan Rahami.
- Opposition groups in the Democratic Republic of Congo say over 50 people have lost their lives in clashes between protesters and police. The government has, however, put the number of dead at 17. Clashes erupted in the capital Kinshasa where demonstrators were calling for President Joseph Kabila to resign.