Russia warns that the war raging in Yemen could be far from over due to the obstacles being thrown in the way of its cessation by the Saudi-backed fugitive Yemeni government.
Russia’s Ambassador to the United Nations Vitaly Churkin made the remarks on Thursday after a UN Security Council meeting on the crisis, which has befallen the Arab world’s poorest nation.
"We hear that the government does not want to have a ceasefire until there is a comprehensive settlement," he said, adding, "This is a recipe for a very long conflict which will have even more dramatic results."
Yemen’s fugitive president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, stepped down last January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by the country’s Houthi Ansarullah revolutionaries. The Yemeni parliament did not approve of his resignation at the time either.
Gradually, as the Yemeni government failed to provide security and properly run the affairs of the country, the Ansarullah fighters started to take control of state matters to contain corruption and terror.
In March 2015, Hadi fled Aden, where he had sought to set up a rival power base, to Riyadh after the revolutionaries advanced on the southwestern port city. He also withdrew his resignation.
The Houthis, however, said Hadi had lost his legitimacy as president of the country after he escaped the capital.
Saudi Arabia has been bombing the country for about a year now in order to restore Hadi and undermine Ansarullah. At least 8,300 people, among them 2,236 children, have been killed and over 16,000 others sustained injuries since the onset of the Saudi invasion.
Riyadh forwarded a resolution to the United Nations last year, calling on the Houthis to withdraw from all the territories under their control.
Churkin complained that the resolution, which Russia abstained from voting on at the time, "is being used essentially to continue the military campaign" by the Saudi forces.