A senior member of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement says the balance of power has tipped in favor of the Yemeni side nearly 10 months into Saudi Arabia’s campaign against the Arabian Peninsula country.
“The Saudi enemy thought that nothing can stand in its way in Yemen and that it is secure from any retaliation. But our attacks have now terrorized Saudi forces. The balance of power is being shifted toward the Yemeni army and allied Popular Committees,” Mohammad al-Bukhaiti, a member of the Political Council of Ansarullah, said in a press conference in the Iranian capital of Tehran on Saturday.
“Earlier, Saudi forces were confronted only inside Yemen, but thanks to the recent developments and the use of short range ballistic missiles against Saudi Arabia, the confrontation has now spread throughout the Arabian Peninsula. This is the only way to stop the Saudi aggression and intervention in Yemen,” the Houthi official added.
Bukhaiti further said al-Qaeda terrorists who had almost been defeated by the Yemeni forces in the south have now resumed acts of terror due to the Saudi aggression against the country.
Blaming Riyadh for the failure of the Yemeni-Yemeni dialog aimed at resolving the conflict in the impoverished country, the Houthi official denounced UN Resolution 2216 as a biased document that justifies the Saudi war on Yemen.
The top Ansarullah member said both the movement and the Yemeni nation are against the resolution as it runs counter to Yemen’s national sovereignty.
The resolution, which was adopted in April, calls for the withdrawal of Ansarullah fighters from the areas under their control and for them to lay down arms.
The Ansarullah fighters took control of the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, in September 2014 and are currently in control of large parts of the Arab country. The revolutionaries said the government of the fugitive former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, was incapable of properly running the affairs of the country and containing the growing wave of corruption and terror.
Saudi Arabia started its campaign against Yemen on March 26 in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and bring Hadi back to power.
Saudi Arabia’s military attacks against Yemen have so far claimed the lives of more than 7,500 people and injured over 14,000 others.